Genre: Retro-Arcade PvP Bullet-Hell Dungeon-Crawling Roguelike-lite-alike
Release Date: 2014 some time
WHAT’S IT ALL ABOUT?
This is our take on the classic four-player gameplay of Gauntlet, mixed with a Japanese bullet-hell shooter… I guess if you imagined Super Bomberman had sex with The Legend of Zelda you’d have Crawl… and a mental image of some sort.
It’s a very arcadey dungeon crawling beat-em-up where one player controls the “heroic adventurer” and the other three control all the dungeon’s traps and monsters. If you kill the hero, you take his place and it’s your turn to crawl while your friends try to kill you.
You can be that skeleton with cutlass or be that rat in basement. Be the irritating flame trap on a wall or be the hulking tentacle boss.
The dungeon crawling is semi-roguelike-esque with randomly generated dungeons, loot drops and the obligatory crapload of magic items and weapons, but all the gearing and leveling up happens at the frenetic pace of an arcade cabinet intent to blast you through and spit you out and demand you insert coin again before your slurpee has time to soak through and get the buttons all sticky.
But what about dot points, do you have them?
- 4-Player same-screen local multiplayer- when was the last time you got a good dose of that?
- Loads of monsters with unique attacks and techniques
- Level-up and evolve into new more powerful creatures
- Co-op control on bosses- you swing the tentacle while your friend controls the creature’s head
- Magic items out the wazoo- get a potion of super speed or let your spider sling a haunted axe!
- One baboon mask! Not really but it’s a pretty good idea, I might put one in
- Highly pixely pixel art! If you really like pixels, this a good place to get ‘em
- The list goes on!
- End list
WHEN CAN YOU PLAY THE GAME?
We’re hoping to have a version ready for public consumption and testing some time over the coming months, at which point we can bask in the ideas and feedback of players, and hopefully you can help us build Crawl into the most kickass arcade-style rogue-em-up ever! Until then we’re blogging all our progress, so check it out, follow @powerhoof, and give us some feedback!
“I’ll control Gabe’s legs, you administer the steam sales from his head!”
-Some guy hopefully!