Based in Melbourne, Australia
6 August 2014
Crawl is the local multiplayer dungeon crawler where your friends control the monsters! It's bullet-hell beat-em-up meets old-school RPG, in an arcadey party-game for up to 4 players. One player is the hero, exploring a randomly generated dungeon full of traps and monsters - all controlled by the other players. If you slay the hero you take their place and it's your turn to crawl! Then it's a race to gain enough XP and loot to reach the final battle, where it's all on one as the other players collectively control the hulking final boss!
Crawl started with an event dubbed "The Multijam". A group of game-dev buddies made a bunch of local-multiplayer games and got together at Dave's place to play them all. Barney's entry was the then titled "4P RPG", which he made in a few days using Multimedia Fusion. It immediately proved to be a winning formula, and so Crawl was born! In March 2013 Dave and Barney formed Powerhoof and work on Crawl started in earnest.
- Local multiplayer arcade action for 2-4 players
- Turbo charged dungeon crawling - Each half-hour game starts as pitiful weaklings struggle against rats and slugs. By the end you're taking down powerful magic wielding heroes with giant beasts and undead warriors.
- Every game is unique - Equip your hero with loads of weapons, and spells and artifacts as you explore randomly generated dungeons.
- Dozens of unique monsters to unlock and master.
- Play with controllers, keyboard or mouse.
- Hone your skills against bots while your wait for your friends to arrive!
- Original 8-bit meets orchestral soundtrack by Alex Yoder.
- Developed in Unity.
- Released on Early Access 6th August 2014 for PC, Mac and Linux.
Greenlight Trailer YouTube
Entry 14: Spiders YouTube
Entry 21: The Coven YouTube
Entry 23: Skeletons YouTube
Early Access Launch Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Winner - Human Human Machine (Best Local Multiplayer) Award" A MAZE Festival, 2015
- "Honorable Mention - Excellence In Visual Art" Independent Games Festival, 2015
- "Winner - Game Of The Year" Australian Game Developer Awards, 2014
- "Winner - Excellence In Art" Australian Game Developer Awards, 2014
- "Finalist - Excellence In Audio" Australian Game Developer Awards, 2014
- "Finalist - Excellence In Design" Australian Game Developer Awards, 2014
- "Finalist - Innovation Award" Australian Game Developer Awards, 2014
- "3rd Place- Best Overall" Editors Choice - Indie of the year, IndieDB, 2014
- "Innovation Award" Editors Choice - Indie of the year, IndieDB, 2014
- "Official Selection - Indiecade Festival Games" Indiecade Festival, 2014
- "The concept - a dungeon crawler where your friends control the monsters - is as brilliant as it is elegantly simple, and it's got oodles (or blob monsters, as it were) of style to back it up."
- Nathan Grayson, Rock Paper Shotgun
- "Grab three friends and gather round; this is a dungeon crawl you won't forget in a hurry."
- Pete Davison, US Gamer
- "Crawl takes its inspiration from the arcade cabinets of old and plays exactly like a distilled, quarterless version of those experiences."
- Tom Marks, PC Gamer
Request Press Copy
We're happy to send builds to press, shoot us an email and we'll get back to you!
Powerhoof allows for the contents of Crawl to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from Crawl is legally & explicitly allowed by Powerhoof. This permission can be found in writing at http://www.powerhoof.com/press/sheet.php?p=crawl.
Posts from our blog relating to Crawl. Lots of exciting images and animations! powerhoof.com.
Powerhoof is a two man independent games studio, located in Melbourne, Australia. Barney Cumming does the art and animation, and David Lloyd handles programming. Their first project is Crawl - The dungeon crawler where your friends control the monsters. Crawl was released on early access in August 2014, and they've been busy since, adding more features and content to the dungeons.
More information on Powerhoof, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Art, Animation, Design